PDA

View Full Version : Need wiring help w/jdm door swap on s14

dattofdeath
02-16-2006, 11:00 PM
I'm replacing the doors on my s14 (all power window stuff missing). I looked for cheap usdm doors but couldn't find any nearby. A friend hooked me up with jdm s14 doors complete w/folding mirrors for $200. I can manage the door install but have some questions about wiring. I can figure out the mirrors. I was just wondering, do I have to swap harnesses from right to left door or is there an easier way? I have the usdm harnesses. Has anyone done this one or is it usually just the mirrors?

projectRDM
02-17-2006, 08:35 AM
Use the US harnesses unless the JDM ones are the same pinout. Depending on year/trim level they may not work, but to answer your question you would swap left to right if they're correct.

infinitexsound
02-17-2006, 06:09 PM
+1 for russ... if u can get the door harness for ur year.. its pretty much install plug and play... except for certain years 95 s14 are diffrent from the rest...

i had to modify my switch panel on my 95, usin a 96 switch panel for parts.. and both switch panels are slightly diffrent..

Slidin240Wayz
02-18-2006, 03:57 PM
I think the plugs are different from JDM and USDM regarding the windows and the power window locks. Just a heads up.

infinitexsound
02-18-2006, 04:09 PM
if u have a 95 s14, i think i have a spare driverside door harness... i bought a whole door to fix my window issue... PM me if ur intrested...

projectRDM
02-18-2006, 04:27 PM
I think the plugs are different from JDM and USDM regarding the windows and the power window locks. Just a heads up.

They are not, only plug that would differ is the master window switch. JDM cars probably used the external amplifier through 95 as well, so 94-95 models would work with 95 US models. The other issue lies in that 95 US cars are fitted with OE security, never available on JDM cars, and power locks are not as common in Japan, so it's much more easy and likely to use the existing harnesses since they will include the correct wiring for whatever the car is equipped with.

dattofdeath
02-18-2006, 07:57 PM
Thanks alot. I think I might have other issues like a smashed relay too though. I was trying to use the jdm harness to make wiring the power folding mirrors a little easier. I was hoping to get this done this weekend but we'll just have to see.
Looks like the pinouts match but I'll take your advice on using the original harness.

projectRDM
02-19-2006, 09:21 AM
You can easily remove the pins from the JDM harness, pull the locking clip out of the plug and the wires come out freely, you can then pin them into your US harnesses. I did this with my folding mirrors, as well as the UK spec heated mirrors and a set of Q45 courtesy lights I mounted in the door panel. Keeps it OE and still allows the harness to be unplugged if it's required. Pin the other side in the car with the opposite side (go to a salvage yard and cut a few plugs from donor cars) and run them to the switch. Easy.

dattofdeath
02-19-2006, 11:40 AM
Sounds good. Actually I used to build harnesses at my last job so pinning the mirrors into the USDM harness wont be difficult I just didn't realize that I've got what looks like a broken relay and a plug that I cant find a home for under the dash. When I got my s14 back from the shop they told me they disconnected some power window plugs under the dash because of some exposed wiring in the passenger door but I thought nothing of it. As it is now, I have to wait (theyre closed for the weekend). I had hoped to complete this over the three day weekend.

Hey do you know how I could jump the power windows from the battery (without burning anything up) just to get them rolled up so I can put the doors on now and worry about the wiring later. Its winter and I'm trying to make this car a daily driver.

Also, the blower doesn't come on for my heater. All of the controls for my vents and heat work exept the blower control but when I turn the switch with the car running I can hear the engine rpm dip like when you turn on the AC. That's probably because I had it on defrost which engages the ac to send dryer air and clear the windows faster. I guess my real question is, is it more common for the blower or the control unit to go out and how would I test to be sure (already checked fuses).
Thanks again.

projectRDM
02-19-2006, 12:55 PM
Green and blue, right at the window motor. Rolls right up with +12V and ground applied.

Most common is the blower resistor, but you should at least have one speed working. I'd check the blower motor before the control unit, easier to access anyway since the plug is right there under the dash.

dattofdeath
02-20-2006, 07:09 PM
Still looking into blower issue. Got jdm doors installed with usdm harnesses and power folding mirrors this afternoon. Now I just need to wire a toggle for the folding mirrors or get a jdm switch.
Good times.
Thanks again.

projectRDM
02-20-2006, 07:22 PM
I may have a switch, I'll check tommorrow if I remember.