PDA

View Full Version : HELP!: Timing S14 Black Top Sr20det. Problems.

kuruptR
02-16-2006, 10:44 PM
I have an s14 SR20DET in my 240sx hatch back.

Came across this weird problem, im in the process of tuning my car with a differnt MAF using greddy emanage. We came across this problem the MAF values were maxing out, so i checked the timing. I found that my Timing is at 35 Degrees second mark from left. I swore I timed it correctly when i put the motor in 15 degrees.

So I took of the valve cover, removed the CAS at TDC put it back in like your supposed to with a REDTOP SR20DET. I was reading up so thats all i could find and i figure it would be the same.

Start up the car...Vrooom runs fine, its really cold out so the cold starts got it running at almost 2000 RPM, I got the timing to 15 Degrees by turning the CAS. I leave it for a few minutes, idle goes down to about 875rpm check the timing and try to correct it; the timing now is at 35 degrees. While trying to fix the timing the CAS maxes out and 33 degress is the lowest it will go!!!!.

This is the second time its been timed but its way off...what do i do now? is this an electrical problem?

Im thinking about fixing the problem with emanage, but i would like to fix the problem with out messing around electrically.

thanks guys. any help would be great.

kuruptR
02-17-2006, 02:54 PM
bump NEED HELPBAD

Slidin240Wayz
02-18-2006, 03:51 PM
What are you using to check timing? What mark on the pulley are you using to set it?
Carlos

golfer17
02-18-2006, 10:49 PM
ok, you need to look at the fsm and follow those directions.

i'll give you a short rundown of what you need to do though.

first, get the car warmed up, but not too warm as once the car starts getting too warm it will fluctuate the idle and the timing will change when the idle goes up (you can still change it like this, just ignore it when it goes way up).

next, unplug your tps, if you havent been doing this, this is the reason why its different everytime you set it.

then you need to hook up your timing light and rotate the cas until the timing is set at 15 degrees btdc (+-2 degrees), which is the second mark from the right.

then your good to go. your car will now make power below 5k rpms (if it was retarded a ton beforehand that is)

kuruptR
02-19-2006, 03:59 PM
i was timing it second mark from left? thats what iv been reading and every one has been telling me to do... with S13 motor... but maybe its differnt with 14?

Im using a TIMING GUN to check timing....

golfer17
02-19-2006, 06:09 PM
i was timing it second mark from left? thats what iv been reading and every one has been telling me to do... with S13 motor... but maybe its differnt with 14?

Im using a TIMING GUN to check timing....

the second mark from the left is tdc. look at the fsm, dont just go off of what people tell you. coincidentally, i accidentally set mine to this for a little while, and when your timing is 15 degrees retarded, you really notice the difference. your car will bog and not go anywhere until vtc kicks in at 5k rpms.